Sunday, November 20, 2011

Everyday I'm Shufflin': Last Friday Night

11/18: FNM

This week I learned about Bronies and, needless to say, I was interested in seeing what the big fuss was. So you can probably imagine my parents’ response when they came back from the library to find me and my bro(ny) watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, which I have realized is a great show (I’m up to episode 11 now). I am still surprised by all of the hype it has and its gigantic fandom, but I guess that’s the way the internet works. While I do not see myself making fanart, writing fan fiction, or creating a blog for it, I do plan to keep watching. I think my favorite character would have to be Rainbow Dash, but Pinky Pie may be more hilarious. Anyway, I said I wouldn’t have a My Little Pony blog, so…

I got to Larry’s as usual, except this time it was one 17 man tournament as opposed to two pods. We still drafted in pods, but we got paired up against people who weren’t from our pod. This greatly bothered me, as part of the point of a draft is the deck building aspect and having control over what the other players draft, as well as getting a feel for the decks in the pod. I am still working on getting practice drafting, which is definitely hurt by being paired up against people from a different pod and I hope I don’t have to do this again. That said, the reason I lost may or may not be that. I believe it is more about how red/white has become my new blue/white. I have been doing well recently with red/white and when looking at the pack, I only paid attention to the rare and the red/white cards. I ignored blatantly obvious signs to go blue or black in the first pack, which was reinforced by my pull of a Grim Grin in pack two, while I stupidly rare drafted it, I still continued to take red/white cards, until I created a very mediocre beat down deck. And through this whole process, it never occurred to me to even think about trying other colors.

My first opponent was named Ryan (I think) and he was using a green/white deck with Trepanation Blade. Game one was pretty back and forth, but he got out a creature with Trepanation Blade and a Galvanic Juggernaut, which was enough to finish me. Game two we got to a stalemate, until I realized that if I just attacked with everything, I had enough to finish him. I swung out, and it was exact game. Game three was similar to the first game and he got out trepanation blade, but I kept us both pretty much creatureless. I got out Pitchburn Devils and gave it a Butcher’s Cleaver, but he used Bonds of Faith on it (which reminds me that I probably shouldn’t have picked Grim Grin over that), as this guy was from my pod. He got out a Mausoleum Guard, and I got out a Voiceless Spirit. He attacked with his guard and I blocked. He played out Elder of Laurels and gave his blade to a token. I am quite proud of my plan. I played out Day of Reckoning, and I chose to keep Voiceless Spirit, while he kept the token with the blade. My Pitchburn Devils died, killing his token and I equipped Voiceless Spirit with Butcher’s Cleaver for game.

My second opponent was Marcus, again, who was in the other pod and had a red/black/green deck with Daybreak Ranger and Olivia Voldaren. Game one, he got out a couple of Darkthicket Wolves, and I got out a couple Ironsmiths, but he played Daybreak Ranger and slowly killed all of my guys. Eventually, I was able to kill it, but by then, it was too late. He played out Olivia and I lost, regardless. Game two, I was able to deal damage to him early game, but he eventually got out stronger creatures than I could handle and I lost fairly quickly. My third opponent was using green/white, and I was able to beat him down quickly the first game and could barely finish him off because he thought he had enough blockers and didn’t account for a Crossway Vampire/Traitorous Blood combo of awesomeness. Games two and three, though, I ended up against an army of creatures that kept getting powered up by his Gavony Township, and I didn’t really stand a chance.

There was a fourth round, but I doubted that I’d win anything, plus I was fed up with the tournament style, so I dropped. My losses were my own fault, as I’ve somehow reverted back to making the same mistakes I did when I started, even though I have definitely become a better player, I am still missing something with drafting. Despite this, drafts are separated into pods for a reason and should remain that way. If I want practice drafting, it is beneficial for me to only play against members of my own pod.

No comments:

Post a Comment