Saturday, December 10, 2011

Everyday I'm Shufflin': The end of the Seaon

So, the last PTQ of the season for me is now over, although I didn’t even stick around for the whole thing, so this will be a quick report. Round one, I was up against a player using red/black. Game one, they got out Olivia and started pinging my creatures. I held off on playing Stromkirk and Voiceless Spirit, but next turn, when I drew Rally the Peasants, I realized that I would have won had I played them. Game two, I forgot Nightbird’s Clutches had flashback and played a creature instead of saving mana for my Victim of Night. My next opponent was red/black/white (same as me) and thanks to his rolling tremor, we ended up with no creatures on the board. When he was at one and I was seven, I played Doomed Traveler, and since he couldn’t stop it, I won. Game two, Olivia (yes, he had one two). He was smarter than to attack, so I couldn’t rebuke it, and he soon won. He had been going on the draw, so game three, I decided to take the draw. He got mana-screwed, so I hit him five times with Doomed Traveler, at the end of his turn played Midnight Hauntings, and Rallied the Peasants twice, swinging for game.

My third opponent was using blue/white with a lot of humans, and fliers. He eventually killed my fliers and beat me with Murder of Crows. Game two, I stupidly sided out Slayer of the Wicked, and ended up against Skaab Goliath. I killed it with three creatures and Rally, but eventually, he overwhelmed me. By this point, I was pretty much done and game four was kind of a joke. I even wanted to lose, so I could leave without worry about if I could get prizes. Game one, Stromkirk and Voiceless destroyed him, but two and three, he was able to stop Stromkirk and won completely, as I had stopped caring and misplayed a lot. The head (I think) judge’s son, Josh had the same record and dropped, so we played for awhile. This is the guy I faced at the last Charlestown PTQ, and our game was rather fun, even though I lost. Game five, I just gave the guy the win before the match started and dropped. Kind of a lame last PTQ.

Playing against Josh was more fun, and we kept making jokes back and forth. This line stuck with me. “Two can play at that game, and one of them is me.” I said this when I made the same move as him and we found it hilarious for some reason. We won back and forth for a while (neither won two in a row) while waiting for our rides. His ride came and my dad arrived soon after. I rarely buy cards, but I have a thing for Merfolk and decided to get Lord of Atlantis, since they were four a piece. While that’s not really much cheaper than usual (five), it was enough to make me finally cave. I also agonized the whole tournament over whether to buy a Force of Will, which was fairly cheap (for a Force of Will). I knew I had to do it, and now that it was finally time to go, I went to get them. I ended up getting three. They shall come in handy later. I didn’t have enough on me to get a fourth, although I’m hoping to see the Vender again and that he doesn’t raise the price.

So basically, my target is Grand Prix Baltimore, which is Standard, the next PTQ season is Modern, and I’ve made some headway on my Legacy deck. Oh well, I guess I can work on my decks, since I no longer am going to weekly tournaments, except for FMN, which I am running. The store didn’t add it to their calendar, so there was a pretty lame turn out. I’m hoping more people will start going. Harrison’s Comics, in Nashua, NH, if anyone’s interested. The four people who showed up were pretty cool, but I’m hoping more will start coming. It just seems unsatisfying not being able to sanction it. It’s in a prime location, so I’m sure that more people would go, if more people knew about it. Anyways, I’ve got decks to make and an essay to write…

No comments:

Post a Comment